Friday, February 15, 2013

"Elementary, my dear Watson" and The Case of Nachos with Tomato Black Bean Salsa

Thursday nights at 10:00 p.m. Karl and I watch Elementary. The tagline is New Holmes. New Watson. New York. Jonny Lee Miller stars as a quirky, modern Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock's cocaine and morphine use in the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories is cleverly updapted in this new series.

In both the original stories and in Elementary, Sherlock makes stunning conclusions based on careful observation. A fabulous gig for actor Jonny Lee. I bet he hates that everyone brings up the fact that he was Angelina Jolie's first husband. Juicy tidbit nonetheless, don't you think?

Lucy Liu co-stars as faithful Dr. Watson. She plays her part with strength and subtlety to the point I'm inclined to consider her the breakout star of the show.

Then there's Aidan Quinn, my sister's movie star crush. Anne told me once that if she ever had a son, she'd name him Aidan. Here he plays Captain Toby Gregson of the NYPD.

I'm sure the name Moriarty rings a bell. Irene Adler? Do you remember that Conan Doyle's Sherlock played the violin? You'll notice these references woven into the current tale and you'll be very, very pleased because they're Elementary.

If a solid hour of vicarious crime solving gives you the munchies, may I suggest you make yourself a plate of nachos? Home-made nachos totally eclipse restaurant/bar nachos. Why? Because just like in the case of the TV remote, you're in charge!

  • You can ensure that even the bottom layer has plenty of the good stuff.
  • Black olives? Diced avocado? Diced mango? It's fine to fool around with toppings.
  • You can bake your nachos just enough so that the cheese melts or you can leave them in the oven until the edges of the chips toast a dark golden brown.
  • Make your nachos snack-size or meal-size as you wish.
  • You ensure the quality and the freshness of every single ingredient on your plate.

Here's a basic recipe to start you off.    

Nachos with Tomato Black Bean Salsa

3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
19-oz can black beans, rinsed
1 red onion (approximately 1/2-cup volume), chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 jalapeno, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt
380-g-bag tortilla chips (Tostitos Restaurant Style are nice)
200 g Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Combine the tomatoes, black beans, red onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, cumin seeds and salt to taste.

Spread a layer of tortilla chips on 4 oven-proof plates. Distribute half the salsa on top. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Cover with another layer of chips, then salsa, then cheese.

Bake for 15 min.

Serves 4.


YOURS, BECKI GREEN. TO LEAVE ME (AND CYNTHIA) A MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE COMMENT BUTTON BELOW.  

4 comments:

  1. Dear Cynthia
    I have gone through your blog, really like the way you write your recipes and yes you have a nice blog with delicious recipes. I came across your recipes from the Google Plus Healthy Vegetarian Community.

    It is my pleasure to invite you to be a guest writer in Archana's Kitchen (www.archanaskitchen.com). As a guest writer you can write vegetarian recipes that you passionately cook in your kitchen and since you own a blog, the recipe will link back to your blog, generating more traffic to your blog as well.

    Let me know if you are interested, I will send you more details about how to begin writing.You can see what many Guest Writers are doing we as well

    Apologies for writing in the comments section. Could not find an email or contact me to message you.
    Looking forward to hear from you.

    Best Regards
    Archana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Archana. It would be my great pleasure to guest on Archana's Kitchen. I'll e-mail you soon. Just about to sign in to Google+ so I'll see you there too!

      Delete
  2. Hey, I've chosen your blog amongst 11 others to award the Liebster Award! Check the post out, have fun choosing your other blogs, and do follow my blog!

    http://easyyummycookery.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made me very happy, RevA N. Thank you very much. I'll start working on my pay-it-forward blog post pronto.

      Delete