Monday, February 25, 2013

The Case of Pumpkin Pie Soup and A PURSE TO DIE FOR (E-book Version) is Free on Amazon March 1-4!

Last fall when Karl and I went to a soup festival, I fell in love with a pumpkin pie soup. Kind of like going to a music festival and falling in love with a drummer...but not quite.

I created my own Pumpkin Pie Soup at home based on my Carrot Ginger Soup Reincarnated recipe. I used butternut squash instead of carrots (no fresh pumpkin this time of year in Black Currant Bay), eliminated the lemon juice, substituted pumpkin pie spices for the original spices and sweetened the dish with a little more honey. Then I garnished with Whipped Evaporated 2% Milk and minced roasted pumpkin seeds. 

Yes, it's possible to whip evaporated milk just like whipping cream and it's the coolest thing! Freeze evaporated milk in a bowl for half an hour or so. Whip and when it's almost forming peaks, whip in a little sugar and vanilla.

Pumpkin Pie Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1-1/2 lb pumpkin, chopped
19-oz can chick peas, rinsed
6 cups water
6 rounded tsps (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder
3 tbsps honey
salt
pepper
Whipped Evaporated 2% Milk
roasted pumpkin seeds, minced

Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 min. Add the pumpkin pie spices and sauté 30 sec. Add the pumpkin, chick peas, water, vegetable bouillon powder and honey and simmer, covered, for 30 min.

Purée (wear an oven mitt and press down firmly on the blender lid because hot liquids erupt).

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Garnish with the Whipped Evaporated 2% Milk and roasted pumpkin seeds.

Serves 4.


YOURS, BECKI GREEN. TO LEAVE ME (AND CYNTHIA) A MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE COMMENT BUTTON BELOW.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I had pumkin pie for the first time last year and loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! Pumpkin pie is really popular here in Canada albeit mostly in the fall. I, myself, am about to try a sweet potato pie from the blog Kerrian's Notebook. I'm thinking it will be quite similar...a southern US version.

      Delete